Tuesday, November 16, 2010

LNM #3

LNM #3

Konstantine

So on this late night, I find myself thinking about and humming this favourite song of mine: Konstantine. When people ask me if I have a favourite song (which is usually asked by a 10 year old anyway) I almost always say: Konstantine. Despite being fairly old now, it remains one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. The story told is so strong and emotional. The music crescendos before dimming to a single voice and piano where the piano gives just as much as the vocalist. Konstantine is an emotional roller-coaster of a song. It's a bittersweet melody at its finest. I could quote so many meaningful lines.  Andrew McMahon (who is one of my all time heroes! musically anyway...) is the genius behind it. I just love this song beyond words. The lyrics themselves have so much symbolism yet remain really quite simplistic. I don't really know how to describe it... It's just so emotional and beautiful. I always feel emotional and somewhat sad listening to it. The power of music. :)

It's hard to write out the lyrics beneath because AM sings it with slightly modified lyrics everytime. I've written out the ones to the version that I always listen to; I think it's a live version. The video that I've posted to go with it may not match completely. But please enjoy! :)


I can't imagine all the people that you know,
And the places that you go,
When the lights are turned down low.
And I don't understand all the things you've seen,
But I'm slipping in between,
You and your big... Dreams.
It's always you and my big dreams...

And you tell me that it's over,
But I can't stand, 
You're in a patch of four leaf clover,
And you're restless,
And I'm naked,
You've got to get out,
You can't stand to see me shaking,
No, could you let me go?

And you don't want to be here in the future,
So you say, 'The present's just a pleasant interruption to the past.'
And you don't want to look much closer,
'Cause you're afraid to find out all this hope,
That you had sent into the sky by now had... Crashed.
And it did, because of me...

And then you bring me home,
Afraid to find out that you're alone, no,
And I'm sleeping in your living room,
But we don't have much room,
To live.

And I had dreams that I would learn to play guitar,
Maybe cross the country,
Become a rockstar.
And there was hope in me,
That I could take you there,
But dammit you're so young,
But I don't think I care.
And if I hurt you then I'm sorry,
It's just this guilt has got the best of me.

And then you bring me home,
'Cause we both know what its like to be alone, no,
And I'm dreaming in your living room,
But we don't have much room,
To live.

Konstantine came walking down the stairs,
Doesn't she look good,
Standing in her underwear?
And I've been thinking, and I've thinking, no,
She's been drinking and it doesn't get me anywhere.

My Konstantine came walking down the stairs,
And all that I could do was touch her long blond hair,
And I was thinking, what I was thinking ya know,
We've been drinking and it doesn't get me anywhere.

This is because I can spell confusion with a K and it's hard to like it,
It's to dying in another's arms and why I had to try it,
It's to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car,
But this time I'm alone and I don't see those stars,
I'm not your star?
Isn't that what you said?
What you thought this song meant?
You thought this song meant.

And if this is what it takes,
Just to lie in my mistakes,
And live with what I did to you,
And all the things I put you through,
I always catch the clock it's 11:11,
And now you want to talk,
It's not hard to dream,
You'll always be my Konstantine.

They'll never hurt you like I do.

This is to a girl who got into my head,
With all these pretty things she did,
Hey baby, you know, that you keep me up in bed.
It's to a girl who got into my head,
With all these fucked up things I did,
Hey maybe, baby, you could keep me up in bed,
My Konstantine...
Spin around me like a dream,
We played out on this movie screen,
And I said,
'Did you know I've missed you?'

God, I miss you...

And then you bring me home,
And we'll go to sleep but this time not alone, no no,
And you'll kiss me in your living room, oh,
And you see, no, that I've been missing in my living room,
Because it's all you.
'Cause this is what I miss, what I miss...

We don't have much room...
I said, does anybody really need that room?
Because we all need a little bit of room
To live.

My Konstantine.



- Konstantine by Something Corporate



No comments:

Post a Comment